How will the Curriculum be matched to the needs of children with SEND?
Wherever possible every child at Handale Primary School will access the same curriculum.
If a child has SEND then it is up to the teachers and staff at the school to make the curriculum fit to the child, not fit the child to curriculum. Each child will have the same opportunities as any other; the same quality of teaching, the same experiences and the same learning journey. The school will achieve this through:
- Knowing the children in their care
- Eliminating the barriers that may prevent a child experiencing the same opportunities as their peers.
- Providing the resources to ensure equality for all its pupils
- Using the experience and expertise of outside agencies
- Working with parents/carers
Differentiation is the adaptation of a learning outcome to enable all children to achieve success. For example:
- a teacher may assist a group of pupils with a task while others work independently
- a teacher may provide additional resources for a group of pupils
- a teacher may present different groups of pupils with different tasks
At Handale Primary School teachers differentiate every lesson to accommodate the different needs of the children. The manner and quality of this differentiation is monitored by the senior leadership of the school.